The Rivers State Police Command in its avowed determination to fight crime and criminality in the state, and to make Rivers State uninhabitable for criminals recorded the following incidents as hereunder stated:
- On the 1st day of August 2016, the Command’s Tactical Teams arrested six suspected kidnappers, namely: Weli Promise ‘m’, Okwudiri Amadi ‘m’, Stephen Amadi ‘m’, Dike Innocent ‘m’, Emmanuel Dike ‘m’ and Ihua Godwin ‘m’ were all arrested at their hideout in Ubima, Ikwerre Local Government Area, Rivers State. The suspects were said to be responsible for the kidnap of Rev. Father Ambrose Bani of St. Anthony Catholic Church, Igwuruta. Efforts are on to rescue the victim. Investigation is on-going at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
- The Command’s Operatives, rescued a 2-year old boy, master Kenedrick Kpodor ‘m’ of No. 20 Alex Ogbonda Street, Mgbuoba, Port Harcourt. The Victim was rescued as a result of intense pressure mounted on the kidnappers who were close to being tracked and arrested. The boy has since reunited with his parents. Investigation is on-going at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
- A notorious Armed Robber/Car Tracker demobilizer, by name, Ihechi Paul Bright ‘m’ was arrested through credible intelligence which paid off handsomely. On interrogation, he confessed to have snatched several cars in Port Harcourt and its environs. The cars he snatched and demobilized include: Lexus Jeep 470, Lexus Jeep 350, Lexus Jeep 330, Ford Edge etc. He is helping the Police in our Investigation.
- Also the Command’s Marine Police in its onslaught against sea pirates and other criminals in the creek, intercepted some sea pirates at the Bakana River. The armed hoodlums on sighting the huge Police presence ran into the creeks. They were given a hot chase, and at the end of the operation, the following items were recovered from them.
- 2 Ak 47 Riffles with Nos. 15160 and 12889.
- 60 rounds of live Ammunition.
- 10 Magazines
- 1 matchete
- 1 W19 Speed Boat
- 1 Yamaha Engine
- On the 4th day of August 2016, at about 2105hrs, the Command’s team rescued two kidnapped victims, namely, Alhaji Ebuka and Alhaji Odira who were kidnapped by unknown gun men at Choba. However, while escaping with the victims, they shot and killed three Police Officers. But the attack left in its wake the rescue of the two victims and recovery of a Toyota Camry car with Reg. No. ABJ 813 JM. Investigation is on-going as efforts are on top gear to arrest the hoodlums and bring them to justice.
- The Command’s Tactical Team through intelligence gathering arrested three notorious cultists, namely: Noble Blessing ‘m’, Owakeme James ‘m’ and Progress Lazarus ‘m’, they were arrested at Akinima in Ahoada West Local Government Area where the following items were record from them:
- 1 AK 47 Riffle with S/N 631320ID
- 1 Magazine containing 1 live Ammunition
- 1 English Senior Automatic Double gun with S/N 14788
- 2 locally made Single Barrel Gun.
- I cut to size pistol.
They are said to be responsible for all the criminal activities around the Akinima axis. They are helping the police at the State Criminal Investigation Department of the Command
- Again, a team of the Command’s Anti-Kidnapping Unit, Bori, through credible information stormed K. Dere in Gokana Local Government Area where the hoodlums on sighting the police engaged them in a fierce gun duel. They were however overpowered and one Freeborn George was arrested, one Victor shot dead while others escaped with bullet wounds. Items recovered from them include: 1 AK 47 rifle with S/N 30426, 25 rounds of live Ammunition. The rifles is said to belong to Inspr. Dumne attached to Kpor Division who was killed during an attack on the Station last week. He is cooling his heels and helping the police in Investigation.
- In another development, the Rivers State Police Command wishes to announce the assumption of duty of the AIG Zone 6, AIG Abubakar Marafa Idris psc(+). He assumed office on 29th July, 2016. He succeeds AIG Baba Adisa Bolanta NPM, mni. The AIG is an indigene of Fakai in Kebbi State and was born on 5th February, 1958.
He joined the Nigeria Police Force as a Cadet Inspr. on the 1st day of January, 1984. He is well read and has attended various professional courses both within and outside the country. He was promoted to the substantive rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police on the 12th day of July, 2016.
Before his recent elevation, the AIG held the following posts:
- Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, FHQ, Abuja.
- Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations Zone 5, Benin
- Deputy Commissioner of Police, Katsina State
- Deputy Commissioner of Police, Adamawa State
- Deputy Commissioner of Police, State CID Kano State
- Commissioner of Police Federal Operations FHQ, Abuja
- Commissioner of Police Anti-Fraud FHQ, Abuja.
- Commandant Police Detective College, Enugu
- Commissioner of Police, Niger State
The AIG is an intelligent, operational and experienced Police Officer. He operates an open door policy and receives any complaint or observation from the general public.
He is responsibly married and has children.
The Commissioner of Police Rivers State, CP Francis M. Odesanya wishes to plead with the good people of Rivers State to remain steadfast and trust the police as the Command is poised to combating all forms of criminality in the State. He is soliciting for police public partnership and the cooperation of the public to volunteer information as such information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.
DSP OMONI NNAMDI
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
FOR: COMMISSIONER OF POLICE
RIVERS STATE COMMAND