POLICE PRESS RELEASE
RECOVERY OF PROHIBITED/ILLEGAL FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
Gentlemen of the Press.
I am delighted to have you here today to share with you and indeed the Rivers Public the recovery made by the Special Task Force on Arms Mop-up.
Recall that on the 21st February, 2018 the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim K. Idris NPM, mni issued a directive on Arms control and Mop-up of all illegally acquired firearms in the Country.
As a follow up to the unambiguous directive of the IGP, I constituted an Eight (8) man Task Force headed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, ‘Operations’ to enforce the IGP’s directives.
In the light of the above, the Command issued a Press Statement, informing the public and indeed all residents of the State about the formation of the Task Force and her responsibilities. The Press Statement further appealed to the public to willingly surrender their firearms within 21days of the notice.
In carrying out her mandate, the Task Force embarked on sensitization and advocacy visits to Local Government Areas. So far, the compliance level has been commendable.
Hence I hereby present to you the Firearms/Ammunition so far recovered by the Task Force.
SUMMARY OF ARMS AND AMMUNITION RECOVERED
- NO. OF GPMG ——————– 1
- NO. OF AK 47 RIFLES —————— 27
3 NO. OF BARETA PISTOLS ——————- 4
- NO. OF LOCALLY MADE PISTOLS ———– 51
- NO. OF ENGLISH MADE PISTOLS ———— 7
- NO. OF SINGLE BARREL GUNS ————– 33
- NO. OF PUMP ACTION ————— 21
8 NO. OF LAR RIFLE ——– 1
- NO. OF MARK 4 RIFLE ————– 1
- NO. OF SMG RIFLE ————– -2
- NO. OF G3 RIFLE RECOVERED ————1
- NO. OF LAR RIFLE RECOVERED —————-1
- NO. OF DOUBLE BARREL GUNS RECOVERED ——29
- NO OF MAGAZINE RECOVERED ————–7
- NO OF CARTRIDGES RECOVERED ————- 140
- TOTAL NO. OF ARMS RECOVERED ————–179
- TOTAL NO. OF AMMUNITION RECOVERED ——- 437
- TOTAL NO. OF CARTRIDGES RECOVERED ———-275
The exercise is still ongoing. I am therefore appealing to members of the public to once again cash in on the window to submit their firearms before the expiration of the deadline or force will be used to recover them.
As a Command we are prepared more than ever before to protect lives and property and ensure that the Command is safe for all to go about their lawful businesses without fear of molestation.
Once again, thanks for coming and God bless you.
CP ZAKI M. AHMED
COMMISSIONER OF POLICE,
RIVERS STATE POLICE COMMAND, PORT HARCOURT.